Not a fan of fall and winter’s rich brown lip colors that we’ve been seeing? No worries! From gorgeous grape to elegant blackberry, we’re enamored with the season’s boldest berries. The newest crop of berries that we’re seeing is edgy and dramatic. Afraid to go bold? We are here to help you pull off the look like a pro.
Find the right shade for your skintone.
The trick to pulling of berry with ease is to make it work your individual skin toneskintone. We’re sharing some tips to help you master the art of wearing the boldest berries.
Cool Undertones – Those with rosy skin and green or blue eyes often look best in blue-based reds. If you look best in silver jewelry, chances are you have cool undertones. Women with cool undertones typically have visible blue veins on the underside of their arms. Try a blue based purple or cool berry shade to achieve the look you’re going for. The perfect icy purple is Ilia Beauty Ink Pot (iliabeauty.com, $26)
Warm Undertones – Those with yellow or peach in their skin typically have warm undertones and look best in berry that is a purple meets red hue. Think burgundy. Eye colors with this undertone typically range from hazel to brown. If you have warm undertones, the veins on the underside of your arms will appear slightly green and you will look better in gold jewelry rather than silver. A color to try: Tarte Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint in Frenemy (tartecosmetics.com, $20)
Olive Undertones – Women with olive undertones generally have a mix of both olive and yellow in their skin and tend to have a medium skin tone. The veins on the underside of their arms are both green and blue. The ideal berry lip color for women with olive undertones is a rich raspberry. We like: Laura Mercier Velour Lovers Lip Color in An Affair (macys.com, $28)
Neutral Undertones – Some women possess both warm and cool tones and can wear lipsticks with either base. Those with neutral undertones look good in both gold and silver. Choosing a beautiful berry will be easier for you and almost any shade will do. If you are unsure whether you are warm or cool, choosing a lip color with a neutral base will be a safe choice. A true raisin shade would be good for you. We recommend: Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color in Raisin Berry (sephora.com, $28)
Not ready to go bold? Do you love this bold lip trend but are looking for something subtle instead of a high-impact lip? Try sheer lipstick or stain. Anyone can pull off a sheer berry. This will add a hint of berry shine without having a full coverage look. Try a subtle shade such as Benefit Benetint (sephora.com, $30)
Pull off a berry lip like a boss
- With a lip this dramatic, it is important to keep your eyes soft and neutral.
- Keep your face shine-free and flawless. With bold berries on the lips, you want to avoid high voltage shimmer on the face. Keep it simple by applying mattifying primer and a semi-matte foundation.
- Make it multidimensional. Apply a pearly lip gloss just to the center of the lips to create fullness and prevent lip color from looking flat.
Lip care tips to ensure smooth, long-wearing application
- Exfoliate the lips with a sugar based scrub. This will slough off dead skin and help prevent flaking. Smooth lips are key for lipstick application and berries and purples can be unforgiving if you have dry lips. The Henne Organics Rose Diamonds Lip Scrub contains coconut oil, red chokeberry, and rose oil to add a luxurious. (henneorganics.com, $24)
- Moist lips are key! Nourish with lip balms containing natural ingredients such as sweet almond oil and cocoa butter. These ingredients help to keep lips hydrated and the natural oils may even provide anti-aging benefits. A budget friendly pick we adore is the Hurraw Almond Lip Balm, which is a non-GMO, cruelty free and vegan. (hurraw.com, $3.79)
- To ensure a flawless, bleed-proof look, clean up the edges of the lip with concealer. Make sure the concealer matches your skin or it will draw attention to the area rather than camouflaging any mistakes. You can also try a flesh toned lip liner to seal in color. Try Cargo Reverse Lip Liner, which is a flesh shade to prevent feathering and bleeding without interfering with your lipstick color. (cargocosmetics.com, $16)