Is there a miracle product that really grows hair? Short answer, “Yes there is.” While hundreds of ‘clickbait’ articles and snake oil salesmen will try to sell you on miracle products, the true secrets to hair growth are much more complex. An effective combination of science and common sense is the true solution. When these two factors are applied in a perfect ratio, based on each person’s need and situation, the effect can be miraculous. It is not an easy task to list all the possible conditions and situations, but we will explore a few common situations and go over the means to which you may find your own hair growth miracle.
To start, wigs are a great substitute when suffering from hair loss. They allow your own natural hair to rest without the stress of heavy styling. But if you get spoiled by their convenience and neglect your scalp while wearing wigs, they can work against you when it comes to growing back your own hair.
When Wearing Wigs
- Body heat releases mainly through our head and excessive heat is known to cause hair loss. Allow your other extremities to release body heat more than usual while wearing wigs, i.e. wear a lighter jacket.
- Shampoo regularly (every three days would be ideal). Follow the shampoo instructions below.
- If you cornrow your natural hair, cornrow loosely so that water can dry faster after you shampoo. Cornrowed hair dries better under a hood dryer.
When Wearing Weaves
- Drying hair becomes challenging when wearing weaves. Some may think that you should not shampoo when you wear a weave, but you can actually shampoo.
- One of the difficulties in shampooing while wearing weaves is drying the hair, especially the cornrowed hair and weft area of the weave. For this reason, Vivica Fox created a new type of weft, called Smart Weft, that doesn’t trap water in the weft. Since the hair is held tightly on a urethane, tape-like material and strengthened with an extra layer of mesh, it allows water to dry faster. Even if you do not shampoo your weave, this weft is ideal since it doesn’t trap any moisture (such as sweat or rain) between the hair fibers tightly sewn to form the weft. Entrapped water and moisture attracts bacterial growth and causes odor.
- Another difficulty is how to apply shampoo effectively under tracks, moving shampoo to a bottle with a pointed applicator is an extremely effective way to make sure you’re truly shampooing your hair and not just your weave.
- If you plan to shampoo while wearing weaves, it is a good investment to get Remi quality hair. In our lab test, Remi hair, such as the IndiRemi, retains it’s quality even after multiple washes, meaning it looks and feels newer longer.
When You Can’t Shampoo Frequently
- Dry shampooing every three days would be ideal solution. If you can brush or comb hair freely, the powder type of dry shampoo works well. If your hair is braided or styled in a way that prevents you from brushing your hair, an alcohol-based dry shampoo or astringent product, such as Sea Breeze, will be a good alternative.
- There are great essential oils that works as natural antiseptic solution, such as Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Lavender, Tea Tree Oil, Bergamot, Lemongrass, Oregano oils. Be sure to dilute essential oils with hydrated career oil and apply after dry shampoo.
Proper Shampoo Method
- If your shampoo frequency is longer than two weeks, you must put extra effort to softening the dead cells and debris that are trapped on the scalp. You can achieve this by sitting under a steamer and/or applying an exfoliating agent, such as Tressential Deep Cleansing Treatment or Exfoliating Scrub, before applying shampoo. All Tressential products are made with herbal ingredients that are safe to use while softening unwanted debris on your scalp effectively.
- The purpose of shampoo is to clean and clean only. It is essential to use a good shampoo that will strip off all unwanted debris, body oils, styling products and microorganisms as completely as possible. You do not have to worry about loosing your body oil (sebum) since your body will continue to replenish it effortlessly. Many believe their scalp is dry, but your scalp is simply an extension of your skin and is similar to any other area of the body.
- Many consumers tend to choose a shampoo that feels soft and slippery. To meet this demand, companies race to produce shampoos that are oily or that have excessive amounts of silicon. These ingredients are helpful when you try to seal the cuticles or reduce friction between hair fibers, soften the hair, and moisturize the hair and scalp. But silicones don’t have much of a benefit when you intentionally wash your hair and scalp as well as you can. Separate washing and conditioning instead of combining the two contradicted purposes. An ideal shampoo would be one shampoo that delivers a “squeaky clean” feeling that will remove any residue and buildup. We can worry about conditioning after the cleansing. You take off dirty clothes before you put on a clean shirt. You don’t wear clean shirt on top of a dirty shirt. If your intention is to shampoo, then just focus on shampoo.
- Ideal shampoo for scalp and ideal shampoo for hair maybe different. Perhaps it is a good idea to use two different shampoo for each. For your scalp, USDA certified organic shampoos such as Terressential, Aubrey, or Cebu Organics shampoos are great, since some of the ingredients can enter into your bloodstream. For your hair, a good conditioning shampoo such as those by SheaMoisture are ideal.
- It is part of the natural process for our dead skin cells to dry up, break into small pieces and depart our body as dust particles. If you use a scalp oil or moisturizer daily, you are wetting down these particles and prevent them from leaving your body. They are hidden under the oil. When all the coverups are removed, the naked truth can appear with an abnormally large amount of skin flakes. Do not jump to the conclusion that you have dandruff, instead change your shampoo procedure to normalize your scalp condition for it to naturally heal itself.
Separate Shampoo for Scalp?
- It is surprisingly difficult to deliver shampoo to the scalp when shampooing. It is blocked by hair fibers and running water. If the time between shampooing is longer than usual, it is a good idea to apply shampoo with a pointed applicator directly onto the scalp and massage it in well before you rinse with water.
- As mentioned above, softening the scalp before applying shampoo will definitely help shampoo to work more effectively.
- After applying shampoo to the scalp, massage with the pressure of your finger tips (without using nails). Acupressure is one of the most rewarding fringe benefits during a shampoo. After you have completed coverage of rubbing shampoo onto the scalp, rinse it out with water. You may repeat this cycle one more time if you can.
- After completing a scalp shampoo, then move on to your hair and use your choice of shampoo for hair.
Proper Scalp Conditioning
- Again, the conditioning of your scalp and conditioning of your hair are two separate tasks.
- Immediately after shampooing is the best time to add nutrition to your scalp to help your roots (hair follicles) to grow your hair. While your scalp is in the naked stage, it is the best time to treat or prevent any inflammation or symptoms of alopecia, psoriasis, ringworm, or any type of scalp trouble. It is also the best time to provide hair growth stimulants.
- Once styling products, moisturiser, or your own body oils return to the scalp, it is more difficult to deliver active ingredients into your scalp. Be sure to take advantage of the naked condition to aid your scalp to grow hair better.
- There are several active ingredients that are approved by FDA to treat alopecia, psoriasis, or ringworm. Among them, Minoxidil 5% for men and 2~3% for women, and Salicylic acid are the most widely used ingredients to treat the symptoms and help hair to grow. At your local beauty store, you can easily find Empress Re-Gro Hair Regrowth Treatment with Minoxidil.
- The beauty stores that are more attuned to hair loss treatment products are likely to carry the Bosley Pro line of the products, which has great reviews from both users and some medical doctors.
- For male pattern baldness, Propecia is dominant choice of prescription medicine, but it is also known to have minor side-effects.
- While we still don’t have medicine to cure psoriasis, Salicylic acid is commonly used to ease its symptoms and reduce itchiness and flakes. Some of the popular brands of products include Neutrogena T/Gel and Mushatts Scalp Cream. You can find both at the beauty store or drugstore.
- Corticosteroids are also popularly used ingredient to stimulate hair growth.
- Among the many brands of products, some of the generally well known brands of hair loss treatments include Viviscal, Phyto, Amplixin, Ultrax, Proscar, and Propecia.
- Unfortunately, we still haven’t found a satisfying medical solution to treat hair loss and hair growth yet. Most products are made to ease the symptoms and discomfort rather than solving the problem itself. Some growth stimulants work only when you use the product and stop when you discontinue applying it.
- In other parts of the world where herbal medicine has been studied and practiced for thousands of years, treatments are offered side by side with modern medicine. Some may believe the herbal medicine (combined with acupuncture and acupressure) is mythical, but in reality, it is taught similarly to the medical schools with proven scientific proofs.
- Surprisingly, there are many trichology centers already utilizing herbal formulas to treat hair loss in U.S. Trichology centers are already all over Asia and are starting to become popular in Europe. The most successful set of treatment procedures and product lines are developed when herbal medicine and modern medical technology were fused in the early 2000’s in Korea and Japan. Propelled by these satisfying results, herbal products and services were introduced into the U.S. market by Tressential Trichology.
- Success behind the herbal remedy comes from its ability to treat inflammation and other causes of hair loss with natural ingredients and focuses heavily on roots for one’s body to heal itself and grow hair healthier.
- Efforts in finding better solutions for hair growth continues. The Aderans Research Institute, a Japanese company, is investing heavily in researching cellular hair regeneration technology. Dr. Samku Lee at 239 Research Institute recently found a hair growth solution from crickets that surprised the mainstream medical society.
- Regardless of your choice of treatments that are available now or those that are available in the future, you should always take advantage of the naked scalp when applying or utilizing any treatments.
- After researching and testing conditioning products throughout the beauty market, we find that some of the best conditioners currently available come from SheaMoisture.
- Since everyone is familiar with hair conditioning, we will not cover it in detail here.
- When the hair is about 80% dried, apply a light form of conditioner on your hair. Do not forget the fact that the water soaked into your hair still has to evaporate in couple of hours in room temperature or half an hour under the hood dryer. Until all water evaporates, your conditioner will just sit on the surface of hair. Therefore, use lighter hydrator or conditioner first followed by a thicker form of conditioner.
On top of all these procedures, things such as proper diet, reducing stress, having a healthy daily life pattern, and even the water we drink dictates how our hair grows. When hundreds of these small elements all come together, then yes, there is a miracle solution after all. All that begins with proper shampooing techniques.