amika, our favorite hair tools company, took their talents to NYFW in the Christopher John Rogers Fall 2019 show. Naeemah LaFond, amika’s Global Artistic Director, created the feminine styles as the shows lead stylist. The multi-textured updos were inspired with by mid-century Southern debutantes at a Cotillion Ball. The hair was very structured and sculpted with a touch of airiness. We loved this look so much, we had to reach out to amika to see how we could do the same style for our hair. Here’s products and step-by-steps to becoming a mid-century Southern goddess.
amika Un.Done Volume and Matte Texture Spray ($25, loveamika.com)
amika Heist Molding Blend ($25, loveamika.com)
amika Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray ($25, loveamika.com)
amika The Chameleon Interchangeable Curling Kit ($300, loveamika.com)
amika Mighty Mini Styler ($40, loveamika.com)
amika High Tide Deep Waver LAUNCHING MARCH 2019 ($120, loveamika.com)
Get the Look:
· Smooth natural hair into a sleek ponytail using Heist Molding Blend.
· Twist loose hair into a small bun, and apply Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray.
· Pin and secure an extension braid onto the natural bun and wrap the braid around to cover. · · · Secure with pins. Continue to wrap hair extensions around the bun and secure as you go.
· Take hair in sections and spray with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray then use the High Tide Deep Waver, Mighty Mini Styler and The Chameleon Curler to create a mix of curled, crimped and waved pieces.
· Once complete, gently comb through sections to break them up for added airiness and lightly spray with Un.Done Volume and Matte Texture Spray.
· Finish with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray.
NYFW Designer Spotlight: Rebecca Minkoff
The Rebecca Minkoff Spring 2019 season is inspired by the optimism of Ibiza at the height of the love movement. Avant-garde artists and pop musicians alike found inspiration, relaxation, and total contentment among the island’s natural rustic beauty.
Rebecca Minkoff brings that same optimism to the SS19. It’s all about contrasts: soft and strong, beauty and imperfection, liberty and restraint. Layers of beautiful contradictions and decisive shapes visually express the many aspects of modern femininity. “I wanted our SS19 collection to capture this earlier moment of creative freedom and highlight that same passion within every I AM MANY woman who wears our clothes,” Rebecca Minkoff said.
The I AM MANY campaign, which launched in September 2018, continues to be a focal point of the Rebecca Minkoff ethos. This collection evolves the brand’s emphasis on the dynamic modern woman and speaks to her complexity through the diversity of both the cast and influencers involved.
To bring this collection to life, Rebecca Minkoff collaborated with the London-based artist Rosanna Webster.
Through her work–a mix of collage, photography, and film–Webster developed a new world for the Rebecca Minkoff SS19 collection. She pulled from the colors, textures, shapes, and overall mood of SS19’s looks, adding her own expressions of optimism through layers of moving image. The final result is a totally new and invigorating weave of many different mediums with a focus on the multidimensionality of the modern woman.